August 27, 2013

Crushing Satan Step by Step


"The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet" - Romans 16:20.

This verse is a powerful reminder to persevere through trial and trust in God's promise.  His promise is that we will always overcome what the devil throws at us.  We will overcome because Jesus overcame. God also ensures that not only will He deliver us from evil; but, He will do it soon.

One of our off-ice tests is the rear foot elevated split squats.  We hold kettlebells (or dumbbells) in each hand, elevate one leg on a bench behind us, and do as many squats as possible with our leg that’s on the ground.  We did a “practice” test set last week so that we could gauge our actual test numbers.  I knew the weight I would hold in each hand; however, I wasn't 100% certain how many reps I hit last week.  This uncertainty led me to search for my workout sheet to quiet my doubts.  I couldn’t find my sheet anywhere and therefore continued being in a state of frustration, fear, and insecurity.  What a blessing that my workout sheet was missing!  If I'm looking to a workout sheet for comfort then I'm looking in the wrong place.  The source of our strength, peace, and identity comes from God alone.  After recognizing this, I prayed that God remove these negative thoughts and fill me with peace about the situation.  Instantly God transformed my heart by laying this promise on it:  "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet" (Romans 16:20).  How awesome that not only did He calm my heart instantly; but, He gave me a verse that specifically applied to my situation!  God provided me a verse where I literally got to act it out:  every time I squatted down, I drove my heel into the ground and crushed the frustration, fear, and insecurity.

After getting a heart transformation, I was now prepared to take the test.  My heart grew stronger with every crushing step as I repeated this verse over and over and over.  Like God always does, He blew the test right out of the water.  Yes, the reps were more than doubled from last week’s practice test; but that’s not even the greatest part.  The greatest part is witnessing God at work.  I called to Him in prayer and he answered.  He provided the peace I asked for and supplied a verse that perfectly applied to my needs.  What a blessing that He cares, answers, and delivers us!

Initially I was focused on my strength, my abilities, my numbers…myself.  Well that kind of game plan is always going to result in failure.  Let's revisit Romans 16:20, "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet."  Who will crush Satan?  Gigi?  Nope, not a chance.  God will.   Instead of looking to myself; I need to look to Jesus and what he already did for us:  died so that we might have life through Him.  

Through Him we overcome our struggles.  
Through Him we have the strength to absolutely refuse to give up.  
Through Him we crush Satan.

Strength in Christ.

G.I.G.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment