October 19, 2013

The Power of Words



“A man of knowledge uses words with restraint” - Proverbs 17:27.

Almost all are familiar with the phrase “sticks and stones may hurt my bones but words can never hurt me.”  Well, the Bible completely disagrees with that statement.  God’s Word says “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” (Prov 12:18). The words we speak have immense power.  They have the ability to heal or destroy; build up or tear down; lead to life or death. Think about how everything was created:  “God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light” (Gen 1:3).  God opened His mouth, spoke, and it was created!  Too often we allow our tongue to run wild and cut others and ourselves apart.  For example, how many times do we add “just kidding” to the end or beginning of a statement?  Using this phrase is just an attempt to cover up our words to make it pass off as okay.  Eliminate the “just kidding” and see if those words truly can stand-alone.  If they can’t, then why even share the comment?  We are called to use words for Christ’s purpose:  encourage, build up, and empower.

This past week, we were on an eight day, two game roadtrip.  We played Canada in Burlington, VT, and again in Montreal.  Whenever we are out in the town, in the hotel, at the rink, reading emails/texts/social media messages, we always receive a slew of “good lucks.”  I recognize that it’s a form of well-wishing and I appreciate the genuine encouragement and support; however, the word “luck” doesn’t sit well with me.  The definition of luck is “success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions.”  I don’t believe that my life rests on chance or my own actions.  I don’t believe that I am where I am due to some fortunate bounces along the way.  I don’t believe in luck because I believe that there is purpose in life.  I believe that there is a God who “works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose” (Rom 8:28).  There is no gambling with God.  No need for betting or taking a chance with Him.  It’s not by luck that I can skate.  I skate because God blessed me with the gift and it is my purpose:  to glorify Him on and off the ice.  It’s not my actions that result in eternal life; it’s the action of one:  Jesus Christ.  I trust that God has my life in His hands and is watching over me.  God’s divine hand is at work in my life, every step of the way.  What to say instead of “good luck?”  My teammates and I laughed when someone mentioned, “why not say ‘good God’ as an alternative?”  Haha, that’s definitely true!  “Be blessed” and “God bless” are always great options as well. 

Another word that has a new, awesome meaning is “celebration.”  In the hockey sense, it’s what we do after scoring or winning.  As many know, I absolutely love celebrating.  Whether I’m playing banana grams at “The Loft,” Swords at the boathouse, or playing the great game of hockey, fist pumps are usually involved.  Family, friends, and teammates shared how they loved the goal celebration against Canada.  There’s no question I go all out, and honestly, after I went down into the one-knee fist pump I wanted to jump into the glass; but I laughed and thought “too much?”  Recently, the word “celebrate” has taken on a completely different meaning to me.  One of my roommates is Italian and has some difficulty with English.  Therefore, when she asked “where do you go to celebration?” I had no clue what she was asking.  After rephrasing her question, it clicked:  she was asking where I attend church.  She calls celebration, church.  How awesome is that?!?  Church isn’t a building; church is the people.  Therefore, when we go to Sunday services, we attend a celebration!  What are we celebrating?  “We had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found” (Luke 15:32).  We are celebrating what God has done for us.  We are celebrating freedom from sin.  We are celebrating victory over death.  We are celebrating how, through Jesus, we can exchange our old life of worry, fear, and sin for a new life of peace, love, and joy.  Therefore, when I celebrate on the ice, I now have another reminder of how blessed I am for this gift God has given me.  It holds the eternal meaning of the victory celebration we have in Christ.

“A man of knowledge uses words with restraint” (Prov 17:27).  Are there words that need to be eliminated from our vocabulary?  Are there words that can bring about new, powerful meanings?  Ultimately, the tongue will speak out of what fills the heart.  Be filled up on God and feel the power of the spoken word of life.

Strength in Christ,

G.I.G.I.

2 comments:

  1. Great verse I like to look at is Jeremiah 29:11. When you speak of how you interpret God and His whole message it just reminds me of this quote. Check it out if you haven't already! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I know you probably wont read this,but I'ill try. I have a question a grew up in a community filled with non believers, and I never managed to get faith in god, but I wish I had. How do I manage to grow close to him? anything would help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete